Thread: Clay Court GOAT
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 05:52 AM   #50
flying24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay lover View Post
I read through the whole thread and haven't seen a single mention of Sergi Bruguera, who had won two RG titles (and one of the few to DEFEND his title). I am not saying that he should be on the list, but I figured I could raise him up and see what you guys think of his status in the history of clay court tennis
He is a great clay courter, but he isnt one of the greatest ever on clay. Lots of guys in history have 2 or more French Open titles, 3 or more finals, and 4 or more semis, so that doesnt set him apart. He was never really the dominant clay courter. He wasnt even the favorite to win the French either year he won. The only Masters he won during his prime on clay was 1993 Monte Carlo when Courier who killed him in Rome and was considered the top clay courter in the World at the time (until that years French where Sergei upset Courier) was absent. His other big clay court Masters was Monte Carlo in 1991. He has limited achievements as far as Masters victories and success, and overall tour success on clay compared to other French Open winners, especialy multiple.
flying24 is offline   Reply With Quote