Thread: Clay Court GOAT
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #80
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper014 View Post
Lets stay on point... the title of the thread is "Clay Court Goat", not red clay not green clay not Wimbledon results. Just simply who is the Clay Court Goat...

I believe Vilas in 77' is only second to Nadal in 06'?

I also don't think you can base head-to-head meetings over results over a field. If that is the case... then Panatta is a much better player than Borg... I believe he has a 2-0 record over Borg at the French Open.

All threads here are to solicit opinions... you have provided yours... Mustard his... and I mine. At the end of the day I doubt any of us are going to change our decisions so why don't we just move on.
The thread is clay court GOAT, not best year on clay. Borg defeated Panatta most of the time on clay and yes he did defeat Panatta at the French. Panatta never defeated Borg again after Borg made an leap in his tennis level in 1977.

Why don't you check out Borg's clay court record in 1978? He wasn't just defeating people, he was destroying them. Even Panatta, who Borg defeated in five sets at the Italian wasn't really close to Borg if the match was fairly judged. The line calls were so bias in favor of Panatta, the crowd threw objects at Borg and yet Borg still prevailed in five sets. That is possibly the greatest year on clay ever.

Like I wrote before Borg lost only 32 games in seven matches at the French in 1978. That's domination.

Yet you can't base the clay court GOAT on that year alone despite the fact Borg was invincible that year. The thread is the greatest clay court GOAT and I think that means career.

Overall in his career Borg has super credentials to be the clay court GOAT.
pc1 is online now   Reply With Quote