View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
mark999
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotus View Post
This place must have stock-piled the sorbothane grips when it was discontinued. They are now charging an arm and a leg for it.

I have actually tried to make my own sorbothane grip. I purchased the thinnest sheet of sorbothane and wrapped it around the handle.

The first time I tried, I stretched out the sorbothane as I usually do with my overgrips. Unfortunately, cracks started developing on the sorbothane within the next few minutes. Soon the whole grip tore up quite badly.

On the next attempt, I applied the Sorbothane without any stretching. Two problems: the thinnest sheet of sorbothane was still too thick. And it added a significant amount of weight to the frame.

But here's something I did that worked quite well for me: I went down a size on my grip and then added two overgrips on top of the factory-original grip. This way, the grip stays relatively the same size, and the two tightly-wrapped overgrips do a marvelous job of dampening the shock and vibration.
what size thickness of sorbothane did you use. was it the 1/8 inch gauge. also do you know the durometer of the sorbothane.
mark999 is offline   Reply With Quote