View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #27
AndrewD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35ft6 View Post
Was making the distinction between him and the way many players approach charging the net today, which is only when they expect a very weak return or perhaps no return at all.
And I was just saying that's why he was a real serve-volley player and Sampras wasn't - something most on the board don't seem to understand. Can't really talk about today's players because none of them have the vaguest idea how to serve and volley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35ft6 View Post
You missed my point. The same in that it seemed like all their serves were the same kind of serve, just the pace was different.Maybe I needed to see Edberg in person. Just on TV, his serve didn't really look like a big kicker even though his backbend would suggest it might be.Yeah, we all know this. Just seemed at the moment I wrote that post that guys like Mac and Edberg didn't really use kickers that much. It was more mixing up the placement. But I could be wrong. The kickers I really appreciate are ones I've seen in person. Maybe the TV is misleading. I associate kickers with off speed, almost slow serves that land short and explode off the court. Edberg's serves always looked too fast. Oh well...
Of the players I've seen on-court while umpiring (starting from 88 to 2001/02), only Rafter used the kick serve as routinely for the first serve as Edberg did. Of course his serve had to have some pace to it, otherwise he'd never have been able to set up for a good first volley. You can't just put in a slow one that kicks a mile. That only works against hackers like us.

Edberg had the best transition into the volley after his kick serve, Rafter was second best. However, the best kick serve I've ever seen belong to Wayne Arthurs. He could kick it up to head height while still generating a huge amount of pace and he could do it with the regular kick serve or a twist serve. Actually, Roddick is very close but he doesn't have the leftie advantage.

As to Edberg being similar to Sampras, I'd say it's not entirely true. Pete, like all good servers, did put spin on his first serve for safey but the delivery was so much flatter than anything Edberg hit. Sampras's second serve had kick but,again, nowhere near the same amount as Edberg's (I could hear the spin Edberg put on the ball, not Sampras). The whole point being that Pete was trying to force an error via the serve whereas Stefan was trying to set up the easy volley. Again, that's why one was a true serve-volley player and the other wasn't.
AndrewD is offline   Reply With Quote