View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #40
Kevin T
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph View Post
1) When I referred to an "Ivy League mindset" I was referring to the top schools. UC Berkeley falls into that category of "top school."

2) You can do groundbreaking research at any top 10 school. Once you get outside of the top 20s, you start running into funding issues.

3) I noticed you picked schools that are highly ranked.

4) This premise is ********. I didn't read past that as it's typical mindless propaganda. Barely no one at an Ivy League pays the full price. (Or any school for that matter) E.g. At Harvard, if your parents make under 60k, you go for free. 60-250k, 1/10th the income.
1+2. Okay, you don't think groundbreaking research is coming from U of South Carolina, Missouri, Oregon St, U of Georgia, Texas A&M in many fields? You don't think there are plenty of kids that want to stay in-state, for a multitude of reasons?

3. If you mean top 30 public universities, then yes.

4. It's not a perfect study but I'm waiting for someone to show me a study with the opposite conclusion. Why would SmartMoney, of all publications, be biased against Ivy schools? Any how many kids with parents making <60k are at Ivy schools?

Last edited by Kevin T : 12-11-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Kevin T is offline   Reply With Quote