View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #37
Datacipher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near View Post
Also, to you and anybody else, can you think of some of the greatest 'forehand' performances in tennis? One that comes to mind for me was Federer beating Hewitt at the US Open 2004.

It would be good to define some of these performances from the likes of Lendl, Segura, Sampras etc and to maybe even show highlights of the matches. Unfortunately, I can't help so much here so it would be cool if folks who have heaps of videos and such would perhaps provide highlights.

Right on.
I think this is a bit tricky to determine. In men's tennis, it's hard to have a dominating performance with only a forehand. The men are too good and too capable of keeping it away from your forehand, unles you can set it up with, for example, the serve. So usually the greatest one-sided performances were more than just the forehand, and perhaps the best forehand-only performances might be close matches or even losses. However, if you want to talk about Hewitt, I recall one match at the AO in which El Aynaoui tore him apart with the forehand, I think the forehand by itself was much more devastating than Federer's at the 04 open, though it is really difficult to say, and I'd have to go back and watch the matches again. Another one that jumps to mind is Berastegui beating Agassi, largely with his killer forehand. That isn't easy to do with Agassi's control off the ground.
Datacipher is offline   Reply With Quote