View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #183
Davis937
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Karl View Post
I'd say that's a good "short and sweet" description. (One of my all-time favorite tennis books, BTW.)

If I understood your post correctly, I'd say your preferred style is S&V ... when you are serving.

Just off the top of my head (and remembering the median NTRP is 3.0)....

1) Baseline
2) Pusher
3) Junk Baller
4) Counter Puncher
5) Attack the Net
6) All Courter

Many players I've met over the years *think* they are All Courters, when they are not even close. (An All Courter excels at any style.) Very few people can actually do that....

The key to your answer, IMO, is your premise. A "good 4.0 baseliner" ought to be able to handle either a (6a) Soft-Baller / Pusher or a (6b) Retriever / Pusher. But you'll need to be patient and play your Baseliner game.

Just be prepared to play 8-12 shots per point on average (versus 4-6 against your common opponent at 4.0). Let me know if you have specific questions about the matchup.

Thanks, Oscar. I'll shoot you an e-mail.

- KK

... thanks for the response, Kaptain ... I was thinking that probably "pushers" (... the bane of all players who like "to hit out") would be at the top of the list ... I was thinking that life would be a lot simpler without pushers ... I really need to get away from the notion that "classic strokes" and "style points" are important in tennis ... obviously, they are not ... as I have so rudely found out *smile* ... nice, thread Kaptain ... keep up the good work!
Davis937 is offline   Reply With Quote