View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #33
World Beater
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonP View Post
One thing I didn't stress in the OP was that I want to rank these serves as pure shots mostly free of outside factors. That is, Goran and Stich were headcases and as a result their whole game suffered on occasion, but not when they kept their head together. On the other hand Rusedski's 1st-serve percentage usually averaged around 50%, which tells me the problem was more than mental. I'll add this note to the OP.

I think it is tough to isolate shots like this. To me its easier and more objective to analyze the overall effectiveness of a shot (even if this takes into account mental and physical).

Becker's % is also generally lower than some of the other servers. Roddick can serve at an extremely high % for his pace (maybe his serving is "safer" because he doesnt go for the lines as much as say sampras or ivanisevic but his effectiveness in terms of % of pts won on the 1st serve is about the same if not better).

Stich had an effective serve but it wasn't an all powerful weapon and wasn't really a match winning weapon to me. For stich, it was always about the overall game that would win matches. Stich wasn't really a guy who could rely on his serve to win matches when the rest of his game was malfunctioning. Some of the other guys could basically just live off their serve even if the were off in the rest of their games. Becker could do this but he would need to serve better than 50%.

Rusedski could get by with his serve alone indoors but outdoors i would definitely not pick him.
World Beater is offline   Reply With Quote