View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #49
adidasman
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeBound View Post
Very, very simple answer. Not psychological (he was still the top player on the WCT tour) and no conspiracy. The primary reason, which was obvious to everyone who knew him or his family and is probably touched on in his book, is that is that he didn't want to be away from his wife and children any more than necessary. Unlike Rosewall and others, he had a very young family and had only been married a few years. He felt that his wife had sacrificed enough to get him to the Grand Slam and he owed her the same courtesy. That meant cutting right back on playing the majors and staying as close to home as possible. Simple enough.

Some men are just thoroughly decent and Laver was one of them. End of story.
If you knew the Lavers, I'm happy to believe your version of events. And the fact that Laver was, and is, a truly decent man is undeniable; having met him several times and played with him twice, he's as unassuming and modest as you could want. It still kills me that, at one event, he actually came up to me on his own, stuck out his hand, and said, "Hi, I'm Rod Laver." As if I didn't know...and, hopefully, he couldn't tell I was trembling inside, standing there chatting with my all-time tennis hero. We just stood there and talked, like two buddies waiting for a court to open up. It was amazing.