View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #16
g4driver
Professional

Here's the link I think your were referring to. I asked a Physical Therapist who hits with me in a drill to look at the article and she if she would watch me do the exercise to ensure I'm doing them properly. She was well versed in eccentric exercises, and told me to order the bars from amazon, and that she would monitor my progress on Saturday prior to hitting and after hitting.

My .02 on Physical Therapy. I had two back surgeries from a neurosurgeon in 2008, a laminectomy, followed by a fusion after the laminectomy didn't help. I spent 15 months away from work, 23 months off the courts, and five months in PT post-fusion. The three PTs I worked with three days a week, two hours a day, gave me my life back. When I first started PT, I didn't do the exercises properly, and with two titanium screws in my lower back, the PTs were incredible. They became more like friends. I felt like Norm walking into Cheers, when I walked in every M-W-F.

Sure you can watch the youtube video, but if you arm is hurting, pay cash to see a PT and ask them to look at this article with you during your appointment. If you have a laptop, bring it after cutting and pasting the article, and downloading the video with a Youtube downloader.

What I took away from the study is this approach will not prevent tennis elbow, but rather deal with effectively for not a lot of coin.

"In a medical advance inspired by recessionary thinking, researchers from the Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City announced last month that they’ve developed an effective and supremely cheap treatment for chronic tennis elbow. Huddling a while back to brainstorm about inexpensive methods for combating the injury, the scientists glanced around their offices and noticed a homely, low-tech rubber bar, about 8 inches long, which, at the time, was being used for general physical therapy programs. The researchers wondered whether the ribbed, pliable bars, available for less than $20, might be re-purposed to treat tennis elbow. The answer, it soon become clear, was a resounding yes."

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...-tennis-elbow/

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefedererer View Post
It seems to, or at least holds the promise to prevent tennis elbow.

If you go back through this section you will see several threads on the Flexbar.

It's first appearence on these boards was a posting by I think chess9 about a piece in the New York Times. It reported that at an orthopedic medical meeting a study had been done that use of the Flexbar resulted in something like 80% of patient's improving from tennis elbow, versus about 30% who improved from "usual" physical therapy measures. As far as I know, the study has yet to be published in a medical journal with all of the details.

Several people recovering from tennis elbow have posted here that it helped them.

I don't think that there is any data to show that the Flexbar prevents tennis elbow in someone who has never suffered from it. But it is generally agreed that strengthening the forearm muscles by doing wrist curls/reverse curls/twists is a way of helping to prevent tennis elbow. Finally intrigued by this device, and seeing it did not cost too much, I bought one. I think the twisting motion is unique, and different from what I could do with dumbells. Will it help me from developing a problem I've never had before? I certainly hope so.
Basically the Flexbar can strengthen the forearm muscles. Stronger forearm