View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
RJYU
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPShanet View Post
Interesting. I'd certainly defer to Ron's opinion, as he is a much great authority in this area (pro racquet customizers) than I. However, I've been involved in conversations where the Bosworths used the polarization terms. Also, the term is used extensively in "The Physics and Technology of Tennis" by Howard Brody, Rod Cross & Crawford Lindsey. All are recognized authorities on tennis physics and not TT posters. Obviously, no such term is helpful unless you have more (and quantitative) information about how the weight is distributed.

Ron, what terms do you use when referring to racquets with similar weights/swingweights, where the main difference has to do with whether the weight is concentrated at the throat, versus putting it at the tip and handle?
Well, not sure what terms the Bosworth's use, but Nate worked for them for many years, and now I've worked for Nate for 10 years, and I've never heard him use the term polarized or nonpolarized in all those 10 years.

Now going back to the original question, it was all about terms that pro customizers use. The guys that wrote the tennis physics book aren't pro customizers. They are certainly smarter than me, and could boggle my mind with all their physics knowledge, but as far as I know, they aren't "hands on" customizers by any means.

As far as the terminology we use in the office, its all very simple. We state exactly where the weight will be concentrated or added. For example, its quite common in the office for the following sentences to be heard:

"He wants more weight in the handle."

"We need to put a few more grams at the tip."

"Hmm... how about we move the lead to the sides?"

"Should we go to Mcdonald's, Subway, or Wendy's for lunch today?"
RJYU is offline   Reply With Quote