View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #244
abmk
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
Chang played far more matches and despite a percentage per match against the top ten and top twenty that is less he did play against more in the top ten and top twenty. We also don't know how good the servers were even if they weren't in the top ten or twenty. Karlovic is a better server than almost anyone and he is not in the top twenty I believe. Still not convincing to me.
well, that is one way of measuring. When the difference is that big, are the return stats really directly comparable ?

As for your doubt, one could start picking the big servers, and check match by match, and find the break % . Well you could pick and check . I might do this for sampras ....

I'd think agassi would win this too .....

when was the last time chang took on a big server on grass and handled it well like agassi did at wimbledon 92, wimbledon 95, wimbledon 99 ? umm, like never ?

Quote:
Also if we consider how great Agassi was as a returner, he would have done better when he was younger and you notice Chang was still ahead of him by decent margin in the beginning years.
that was because agassi was inconsistent and chang consistent

Quote:
Whether Agassi is the best returner of his era is subject to debate.
based on what , really ? peers ? they'd undoubtedly say agassi

as for stats , like I showed, agassi played higher ranked players more often , more than compensates for the tiny difference in return games won %

agassi played far more matches on grass than chang , I don't have chang's no of matches on carpet though ...

Quote:
However it's pretty clear to me that it's very doubtful he's the best returner of all time and that was the premise of the article.
certainly debatable
abmk is offline   Reply With Quote