View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #57
Hi I'm Ray
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW Staff View Post
I've been playing points while hitting so the novelty of the low tensions quickly went away as I had to get down to business. At first, when I realized how much spin I could get, I was trying to put maximum spin on everything -- fine for hitting, but not getting it done during points. I realized this very early on, so just played normally from then on.

First few tiebreaks with the 20lbs set up was a little tough mentally and I had to keep telling myself to forget about the string and just play my game. Returning at 5-5 in a breaker, it was tough to trust the strings and just hit my shots, but I did it and it worked out great.

Today, going to 10lbs was easier than going from 30lbs to 20lbs. The only issue I had at 10lbs was excessive vibration -- something I didn't have at 30lbs or 20lbs.

As I mentioned in the blog, I'm going to play around between 25-35lbs to find the right tension for me. Volandri strings around 26lbs on the pro tour, so that might be my next test tension.

Chris, TW
Hey Chris, thanks for keeping an open mind and trying out something that few would even think about. I'm currently in the mid to upper 40's for string tension but didn't think 30lbs would even return a ball - man was I wrong. I think this will help quite a few ppl out, you might even start a new trend.

I read your blog where you mentioned "hand pulling" the tension, and since 10lbs worked for you I thought, heck I could hand pull at least 10lbs. So I tried it on an old racket which had no strings in it anyways. I had no machine btw, but still remember how to string from back in the days, so I used a soft face woodworking clamp and a pair of work glove. I was surprised I could get the main strings pretty tight feeling. Any loose strings could be tightened up by pulling on previously tensioned strings while pulling on the end of the string. But the cross strings I couldn't do that with so they feel pretty loose. It's kinda rough on the hands though.

Anyway, it actually felt good so far bouncing the ball on the strings. Good call on the Barry White comment... My normal rackets suddenly sound tinny and feel board like right after boucing the ball on the hand pulled strings. I have no idea what the tension is obviously, I do know there is a drastic difference between the mains and the crosses. This is an old slightly fractured (it just makes slight sound) but still totally functional racket strung with super low priced Liberty 16 so it doesn't matter. I'll get to try it out in the afternoon.

Btw, I tried pushing down on the middle of the string bed firmly with my thumb while holding the edge of the frame with my other fingers, and the stringbed caves in about 1/4 of an inch on a 90sq in head. Could you tell me how much the string bed deforms on any one of your string tensions? Just trying to get an idea of how firm my strings currently are. Thanks again for your experiment.
Hi I'm Ray is offline   Reply With Quote