View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #39
pjonesy
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
Not well-written? The book was (and Agassi has stated it again and again, for those who are ready to jump in saying he didn't give credit to his ghost-writer) co-written by J.R. Moehinger - a Pulitzer Prize winning author. The reviews of the book, by professional critics, have been glowing in their praise of the writing. There is no "sense" of closure because the book ends in 2003when his career ended - his life continues. And he has said many times that he and his father have settled their differences and his parents are a huge part of his and his children's lives.

And with due respect, those who keep bringing up the "meth" story, but admit that they haven't read the book, really should either read it or let it go. The "meth" story was such a small incident in the book - totally blown out of proportion by the media. He never "blamed" his trainer. (It wasn't his trainer - it was his "gofer".) And he merely says that this was the person who introduced him to the drug. There was no "blame" involved. He fully admits he made the decision to take the drug himself. If you read the book you'd also learn that when this guy and his girlfriend became parents of an ultra-preemie baby, it was Agassi that arranged for the baby to have the best of medical care and found - and paid for a home close to the hospital for them.

And HunterST has to be the most intelligent poster on this entire board.
You are correct. "Not particularly well written", was the wrong description. In my opinion, the STORY was not particularly well told. It was like a movie that starts off well, gives you insight into the back story, has great action and then just goes nowhere. There were parts that I liked. Agassi's pursuit of Graf, his description of the "dragon" and his recollection of the back pain that plagued him his last few years. It just did not give me any clearer picture of who Andre Agassi really is. His spotty praise for some players and his contempt for others just left me confused as to what his purpose was in specifically pointing out his contemporaries faults. It left me wondering if this guy is truly a wonderful human being, who has devoted his post tennis life to the education of less fortunate children or is he a phony, who fooled us all into believing he had a full head of hair, loved tennis and was a true fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers (not Richard Marx). Its nothing personal on my part and maybe Agassi is all of those things. Maybe he is just complicated.
pjonesy is offline   Reply With Quote