View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
abmk
G.O.A.T.

I rewatched this match just now and did the stats for this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosero View Post

Agassi won the third set with a drop volley winner, and the match with an ace. He was down double set point in the tiebreak and saved the first one with a forehand return winner off Pete's first serve.
yep, I am not sure how agassi guessed right on that serve, how he pulled it off ! he was up 3-0 in the TB before going down 3-5 though !!

Quote:
Agassi won 135 points overall, Sampras 122.
I have agassi at 134 and sampras at 123

Quote:
Agassi got his first serve into play on 3 of 4 break points.

Sampras got his first serve into play on 7 of 21 break points (33%).
yep, the 2nd part is surprising, sampras got in a pretty low % of first serves in BPs. Still saved 16/21 of them though, some of them through his baseline prowess, but agassi committed errors on quite a few of those ...

Quote:
Agassi had 10 aces and 4 double-faults. He hit 26 other serves that Sampras did not return; I didn't judge any of them as service winners.

Sampras had 28 aces and 6 double-faults. He hit 29 other serves that Agassi did not return; I judged 5 of them as service winners.

Sampras hit 13 of his aces in the final set.
all tally perfectly, except I have sampras at 4 service winners, not 5

Quote:
WINNERS

Agassi had 40 clean winners apart from service: 24 FH, 11 BH, 2 FHV, 2 BHV, and 1 overhead.

Sampras had 25 clean winners apart from service: 11 FH, 6 BH, 2 FHV, 5 BHV, and 1 overhead.
I have agassi making 1 FHV, total 39 winners apart from service

I have sampras at 12 FH winners, 5 BH winners and 7 BHV winners ( I think one or 2 were half-volley winners at the net , did you count them as BH winners or as BHV winners ? ) ...... total of 27 winners apart from service

Quote:
Agassi had 7 service return winners (4 BH), all passes. In addition he had 8 FH and 4 BH passes. Altogether he passed Sampras 19 times.

Sampras had 3 service return winners, but no passes, whether on returns or otherwise.
One of the 8 FH passing shot was a lob .. all of sampras' return winners (3) were off the BH wing

I have agassi at 3 BH passes , not 4 ..other stats tally perfectly

Quote:
ERRORS (FORCED AND UNFORCED)

If I subtract the aces and winners from the total points won:

Agassi made 69 errors. Of those I counted 29 return errors and 4 double-faults. So in the exchanges consisting of at least a successful return, he made 36 errors.

Sampras made 85 errors. Of those I counted 26 return errors and 6 double-faults. So in the exchanges consisting of at least a successful return, he made 53 errors.

Stats in the print media:

Per the Washington Post, Sampras won 44% of points on his second serve (the same as my figure). He made 50 unforced errors and 60 winners.
I have sampras at 45 UEs ( 24 FH wing,15 BH wing, 6 DFs )
agassi at 28 UEs ( 16 FH wing,8 BH wing,4 DFs)

sampras at 40 forced errors ( 18 FH wing, 22 BH wing )
agassi at 36 forced errors ( 19 FH wing,17 wing )

These do NOT include the service winners

Quote:
ESPN’s stats:

At 2-3 in the third, Agassi had won 10 of 12 at net, Sampras 21 of 38.
I have sampras at 35/63 at the net and agassi at 9/15

Last edited by abmk : 05-20-2010 at 08:41 AM.
abmk is offline   Reply With Quote