View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off The Wall View Post
That's a lot of pressure on the lobbee. The net person should assume an overhead. The partner should assume no overhead. As the two move into position, it should become evident what to do. If the net person can get into position to hit an overhead, great. If not, she will abort and switch. Then the partner will return the lob.
I don't think that works very well.

If a lob goes up and my partner is going to play it, I will immediately move to the service line. Then if the smash comes back, we have two people at net. Perfect.

If I have to hang around in a position that would allow me to retrieve the lob should my partner abort on her smash (basically backing her up), I will not be at the other service line. Instead, we will be in a ragged I formation, and half the court is open.

When we practice this, we focus on training the lobbee to make the call, 'cause that lob is her ball because it is going over her head. If the lobbee remains silent, the deep person should take this silence to mean the lobbee is going to hit a smash, so the deep person goes to the service line (if the lobbee wants help, she had better ask for it). If the mute lobbee does not play the smash, the ball will fall unplayed behind the lobbee and the pro will scold the lobbee.

Also, no lobs are supposed to bounce. If the lobbee says to switch in a timely fashion, the deep player -- who was on her way to the net -- is supposed to cross and take the lob out of the air as an approach volley.

Yeah, it's difficult and demanding, but you can kill people by playing this way.