View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
HitItHarder
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Also, no lobs are supposed to bounce. If the lobbee says to switch in a timely fashion, the deep player -- who was on her way to the net -- is supposed to cross and take the lob out of the air as an approach volley.

Yeah, it's difficult and demanding, but you can kill people by playing this way.
If the lob is hit with no real extreme topspin and is high enough that the bounce will bring the ball back to up to approximate level of my serve toss, I always let it bounce if it is at the baseline.

Because I hit the lob return like I hit my flat serve. Only I don't have to worry about getting it in the service box. I hit 10 winners for every UE. However, taking the ball out of the air for this type of return results in a lot more UEs from me. And honestly part of the problem may be that I detest having to lob back a lob, so typically my return of a lob is at least hit to be a forcing shot, if not an outright offensive shot.

So -- do I need to practice taking these baseline lobs out of the air? The reason I ask is that most lobs this high allow the opponents to reset court positioning anyway. So my taking the lob out of the air really isn't reducing the opponents time to get in position or react. I guess I am trying to understand the risk/benefit balance of doing this on lobs to the baseline.

Last edited by HitItHarder : 05-21-2010 at 06:18 AM.
HitItHarder is offline   Reply With Quote