View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
krosero
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
It seems that many of the former players raved about how great Kramer's second serve was. I know Kramer credits his strength on second serve in winning his tour with Frank Sedgman. So in general I would tend to believe that Kramer was excellent on second serve.

Thing is how do you gauge the effectiveness of a second serve? It is sort of like the discussion we all had on service return in some thread. Agassi was considered to have a better service return but maybe Michael Chang might have won a greater percentage of service return points.

I have no doubt Kramer had a better overall second serve than Jimmy Connors. But who knows, because Connors was so great with his mobility and groundstrokes, he very well may have won more points by percentage with Kramer on second serve.

I do have some skepticism on some of the old legends about the old time pros. When I did some research on a super famous player in the 1930's I was very surprised on how he didn't even come close to living up to his reputation.

I would love to see information about Jack Kramer just to see if some of the things former greats like Hoad and Sedgman said about him are true. Unfortunately I don't think we will ever get the information.
I was wondering, in writings from before the Open Era, can you recall any mention of such stats like these (success on first or second serve)? I don't know of anything myself.

I know of references in the 70s to first-serve percentage (first serves successfully made). Then in the early 80s, CBS had success on first and second serve, in USO telecasts (Sports Illustrated used such a stat at 81W, too). Offhand I can't recall anything earlier.

Last edited by krosero : 06-09-2010 at 04:03 PM.
krosero is offline   Reply With Quote