View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #23
pvaudio
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
I'd be interested in hearing more specifically about how the inner workings of the spring-assisted clamp bases are "cheap" or "not a quality product". I own a 910 and one of the first things I did when I got it was to disassemble the clamp bases. The base utilizes an extremely simple mechanism and consists essentially of four solid metal parts. I'll concede that the bases don't use polished stainless steel handles like some more expensive spring-assisted clamp bases, but that hardly equates to cheap construction.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll throw in that I think crank-tensioned stringers are such simple and basic machines that it's silly to pay upwards of $600 for one. I've heard comparisons like "the Eagnas is a Kia and the Gamma is a Lexus", but these comparisons fail to recognize that cars are complex machines and crank stringers are not. Basically, a crank stringer consists of a spring that measures the tension and some clamps, the rest of the machine is simply metal structure that doesn't affect the machine's performance. Unlike a car, a crank stringer is exactly the sort of simple machine that the Chinese can accurately and inexpensively replicate with little loss in quality.
Lakers said it perfectly: the Eagnas clamps are not built to the same quality standards as other companies' clamps. One of my Eagnas clamps worked flawlessly: buttery smooth action, smooth glide, tight clamping to the turntable. The other clamp needed to constantly be adjusted to keep it gliding and clamping all at the same setting. It would get loose enough to become unlocked even just by holding tension! The parts used to make them are made on a budget, and because of that, you really are shooting in the dark which makes a great point about the equipment: if two clamps are 200 dollars of a 500 dollar machine, then just how cheap is the rest of the equipment, or just how badly are Eagnas gouging you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
The real question is if you strung 2 rackets; one on each of your two machines, could anyone tell the difference? I have an Eagnas and get a lot of frames that were strung on expensive machines, mainly Prince and Babolat, but the feedback I get is they can't tell any difference. I still believe the stringer is more important than the machine, and paying a lot for a machine does not guarantee a good string job. I have to agree with Lawdog, machines are really simple devices and do not warrant high cost.
I agree. The stringer makes the machine do its best work, but the machine can slow down or add elements to the stringjob that the good stringer otherwise would not expect to happen (i.e. uneven mounting points causing undue stress on the frame).
pvaudio is offline   Reply With Quote