View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #25
lawdog
New User

Sports: Sorry for the delay. I've been out-of-pocket for a couple days. I wholeheartedly recommend the 910. To state my position briefly, the 910 is functional, accurate and inexpensive in comparison to the competition. In my opinion, that's all it needs to be. If you care to, then read on for some more in-depth thoughts.

When I was looking for a machine, the 910 was the best value I found--it accurately strings racquets and costs less than other comparable machines. I wouldn't disagree with all of the negative comparisons, but I would say that they are largely misplaced. For example, the paint is thin and the machine has been assembled/disassembled before you receive it, so there will likely be some chips, etc. I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing for Eagnas to verify that all the parts fit together before sending a machine out, but I understand that some people might disagree. More importantly, for me, the proper measure of a stringing machine's vaule is not it's paint job, but it's ability to produce consistent results when used in a consistent manner. I think the 910 achieves this goal.

A crank stringing machine is basically just a stand, table, center bearing, crank and clamps. As far as the stand and table are concerned, all they need to do is hold the machine level and withstand the moderate forces that stringing puts on them. The bearing just needs to be stable and smooth to rotate the table. The crank just needs to be accurate. My 910 satisfies all of these requirements. In addition, I didn't find a single complaint about any of these criteria when I was doing my research on the 910.

As pvaudio points out, the clamps are 40% of the 910's cost. I don't think that this necessarily means either Eagnas is gouging customers or the rest of the machine is "cheap". With regard to accusation of gouging, I think this is simply a pricing strategy that gives the customer a basic choice: (i) don't pay for the spring clamps, (ii) pay $200 for the clamps after you buy a machine or (iii) pay $100 to step up to the machine with the spring clamps when you buy. Based on this pricing structure, I would guess that profit margins are higher on the 910 than on the step down machines without the spring clamps. Price gouging, however, occurs not when sellers use pricing structures to encourage buyers to purchase high-profit-margin items, but when sellers take advantage in an unfair or improper way of a buyer's weakened position (e.g., by overcharging for a necessity like gas during a shortage). With regard to the rest of the machine being inexpensive, my point is exactly that, because of its simplicity, the entire machine should be inexpensive.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote