View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 01:40 AM   #24
johncauthen
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Get some lead tape and put it under where the throat becomes the shaft. If you like it, put it under the grip so it looks neat.
Okay, thatís what most racquet adjusters do now, but as I showed in the photos, I am talking about adding one or two ounces. Lead tape adds a few grams.

The industry tells you their racquets are designed to be light overall and head heavy.

By head heavy, they mean about 5 extra grams in the head. Small amounts of weight in the head can dramatically change the feel of the head. The Wilson NCode Six-One is a perfect example. Pick it up, and almost anyone says it feels heavy. But they say pros like heavy racquets.

Not exactly true: pros like heavy racquets, but they donít like for them to feel heavy. If Wilson adds 5 or 10 extra grams to the head of the production Six-One, it is impossible to add two ounces to the top of the handle and the racquet is usable, by anyone.

In order to modify the racquet like Samprasí racquets, they have to make the head so light it is unusable without the extra weight in the handle. You canít modify any of the current production racquets using my technique, and sell them, although the older racquets, such as the Rossignol, which is actually from the 80's, could be modified.

Quote:
I new it!!!

see I use an old Rossignol from the 90's.

The racquets today are made for week school boys and have no feel. I knew none of those guys would be using those mass produced toys.
The Rossignol has a lighter head and heavier handle, and while it is heavier overall, a lot of people prefer that feel, including most pros. The racquet industry is trying to progress toward the light handle and heavy head theory. Every new racquet is a little closer to that theory; but a lot of pros and regular players prefer the old racquets.

I had maxed out the opposite theory: light head -- heavy handle, and showed it to Wilson. They maxed it out even further by giving Sampras a racquet with a super light head and super heavy handle, so that his racquet actually weighed 16.2 ounces, but had an extremely light head. I canít produce that racquet without being a racquet company, but I have a special Babalot called a VS Drive that weighs 243 grams strung, with a super light head. It is unusable when unmodified. I guess it was designed for players who modify their racquets. It was called VS Drive, and is no longer available. I have one. I modified it with 61 grams of lead at the top of the handle, thatís 2.2 ounces.

There is a funny story. An 11-year-old walked up to me when I was hitting at the wall outside my apartment. He asked if he could try what I was doing. It looked like fun. I was slamming the ball into the wall. I gave him that Babolat. He wouldnít stop, as he spent about 15 minutes hitting, and started to look like a pro, even though he had never played tennis. He asked his father to buy him a racquet. I saw him again with his new racquet, but he was not looking like a pro, and getting angry, throwing the new racquet. I never saw him again.

With my racquet, he loved tennis. With a proper new racquet, he hated tennis. If I sound delusional it is because I canít get anyone in the industry to work with me, or believe me.

The whole thing about painted racquets is the industry trying to sell people on what they think works best, which is ultra light racquets with slightly heavier heads than normal. But as was said, those racquets have less feel. The best idea is to use the scientific theories the industry has developed, and produce racquets like that 304 gram Babolat I have.
johncauthen is offline   Reply With Quote