View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
justinmadison
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniscrazed View Post
Personally, I think reducing the draw sizes is a great idea. Further I think they need to raise the levels of Open, and designated events. (L4's should be L3s, L5's should be L4's). L1's to L3 nationals should be cut in half. This group should represent the creme de la creme.
With all draw sizes being cut in half and the number of dates for L3’s going from 19 to 4 you are getting more than you even asked for. Your idea of giving more points for section play and less for national play will result in having more weak section players qualifying for the L1 and L2 tournaments. I am not sure how that is good. I am also not sure why you feel like less tennis is good for the top guys.

Quote:
With respect to JM's son not being able to get into a National event next year that he would qualify for this year should be an eye opener that he simply isn't ready for that level yet. When he is he will win his matches and will get in either by direct entry or wild card.
I am not sure why you think my son will have trouble qualifying for National events next year. He turned 14 in July and when the next set of 14’s national rankings are issued he will be at least 130 and higher depending on how he does in the L1 in San Antonio. My earlier reference was to when he entered a L2 14’s event based on his top 50 12’s ranking. That will be more difficult for people with the smaller draws. Who knows what his rank will be when he faces that dilemma again.

Quote:
I will say however that this may make the strongest sections even stronger and regretfully the weaker sections even weaker.
I don’t think it will help anyone. The strong sections will not be represented as well in L1 – L3 events because it will be more difficult for them to pit their strength against the weaker kids in national tournaments. The week sections will be worse off because they will have more difficulty developing their talent against the strong sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
The first I've heard of this issue is from JM. While I guess I am not completely plugged into the USTA flow of things...given that I do travel regularly with my kid to various national tournaments, I'm surprised a decision of this magnitude wasn't communicated more broadly to the point that parents/kids are aware of it?
The only reason I found out about the changes is I was bored the day I received my son’s acceptance into the Clay Court Nationals. At the back of the 15 page package was a single sheet explaining the changes to draw sizes for L2 events. The rumor I heard, and I don’t know if it is true, is the USTA knows people are not going the like the changes and they are trying to hide it as much as possible until it is too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
JM, just a funny coincidence. the first I heard of this issue is when I overheard you discussing this with a certain coach at LB nationals, on top of that bleacher section. I wasn't paying much attention then...as I was much more worried about my son's match. It's all coming together now...your son played very well that day.
Thanks, he did have a good day. He went on to win all of his matches at Zonals, then placed 4th in singles and won the doubles at the Texas Open. We will see how he does at San Antonio

Last edited by justinmadison : 08-06-2010 at 02:31 PM.