View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #25
GetBetterer
Hall Of Fame

spacediver:
Quote:
Really? What you said has nothing to do with the paper.

In fact, the point about conservation of momentum I am drawing upon is only briefly mentioned in the intro to the paper. The bulk of the paper has little relevance to this thread.
Isn't this coming from someone who didn't read the entire article? O_o

Quote:
The most efficient way to crack a whip, in
terms of producing the loudest crack for the least amount of effort, is to send a planar loop down a tapering rod with
extra applied tension to provide further acceleration.
That's from the article. With a slight knowledge (I'm minoring in it) of physics, you do know that this is an efficient way to get most energy from it, and energy leads to power.

Quote:
Why doesn't serve instruction encourage this delayed cracking of the whip principle between torso and arms?
Quote:
The crack itself is a sonic boom created when a section of the whip at its tip travels faster than the speed of sound.
As I previously stated, there is a certain point in which racket head speed travels faster than you can make it, and believe me, humans cannot travel faster than the speed of sound so this article is very relevant to your question and what I have stated.

Quote:
This principle can be used in cracking the whip of the arm, but my question is whether it should also be used to channel momentum from the torso to the arms.
Power comes from all of your bent joints, each and every one of them.

As for the picture, the wood stops at a certain point and some of the energy is given back to the origin, and our torso's absorb a LOT of energy (hence seat belts go around the torso) which would only deter stronger serves so as the author of the article stated, tension (in our case, string tension) does make a difference.