View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #36
Ross K
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross K View Post
A better idea now of what the PSTGT+ is about following long session against player who put me through it, and had me huffing and puffing like someone who smoked for years and was never shy when it came to entering a pub (er, yes, that would me! )

Some random thoughts:

String-bed feel - hard to describe, but I love it... lush, crisp, bitey...

Build - solid, solid, solid... and high quality build too imo, no complaints.

Touch and feel - unlike a lot of these Babs and similar racks, this has really decent touch and feel...

Power - there on tap, but in controllable form...

Spin - to a pretty high level

B-line performance-very responsive, great depth, def hits heavy ball)...

Serve - lots of rangey power, good action, but I'm not dialed in yet...

Volleying etc - very solid, penetrating, powerful...

Maneuverability (which is connected to balance/weighting/additional length) - got on with it better but... and this is my big concern... wondering if, like other frames I know (Rd Pro, Rd7, PT630, PSC 6.1) it's just a tad too weighty for me to really get smooth and comfortable with at a higher level of play.

FH - Always the quickest shot for me to groove with for some reason - with this rack I'm comfortable on the fh side, consistent and solid, if not yet accessing the full and punishing capabilities of the frame...

2HBH - I was not only comfy with it's heavy, spinny, controlled performance, but at the end of the match I did find that extra oomph and whatever it is that helps you to nail and kill off points...

The XL factor - that added . 5 " can seem a bit unwieldy, and a few times yesterday, when I was twisting for a ball behind me, I was instantly dead in the water. The obvious temptation of course is to remove the extra length. But the trade off is in when running into low scoopers or short balls, making angles, and, in different respects, when it comes to volleying, serving and fh and 2hbh.

I'm giving this one some time boys. The frame is simply too good for me to not pay it a lot more attention. I do fear an influx of frames in through my front door (quite how these things happen I just don't know... oh yeah, blame Fed! )... but, yes, will be fascinating to see how I fare with this and that APD (at stringers now).

R.
One last thing I forgot to mention but really wanted to say...

Slice - My poorest shot usually is my 1hbh slice, but with the PSTGT+, from the first hit, it has reminded me of a jab!... seriously... it's just so firm and solid and hefty... a great wallop... yes, whenever I do it that image of a jab in boxing comes to mind... a thudding, walloping great jab... don't know if you guys are into boxing, but think of these 2 goats!... it's sort of like a jab from Duran or Ray Leonard ...

R.
Ross K is offline   Reply With Quote