View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #57
Devilito
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by QiRoy View Post
@Devilito - Thank you so much for your post. I really, really do appreciate the time you've spent to be constructive and respect your experienced opinion.

What you said, resembles a lot of my own thoughts, but it's great to hear it from an experienced, high-level player. It gives me more confidence that my self analysis is at least 'in the ballpark'.

Yep, footwork is HORRIBLE at this point I know. And hero to zero once I start running, sums it up nicely! (Although obviously not a hero to begin with either) Do you know where I could find good footwork drills on the net by any chance? I've found a few that usually involve a ladder type grid and different patterns. Then, theres the fuzzyyellowballs footwork vid that was interesting. However, I haven't been on court enough to really get down to business and focus on footwork yet.

When I asked the coach in Shanghai about the level of my footwork (wanting him to confirm it was crap and give me some direction) he said, "well, you got to the balls that I was hitting to the corners". I tried to get more in depth, but he struggled with his English and my Mandarin is even worse.

In terms of the project, well, I understand that you think being at a confident level to begin with would be best. I agree. It sounds like peoplespeace might already be there level-wise. As you could see, I'm not, but the idea really resonated with me and depending on the goals and levels of the others in the group, I think it could still be worth a shot for me and at this stage December this year suits me.

Anyway, thanks again for your time Devilito. I really am grateful for it.

I'm interested to hear peoplespeace's 2 cents too.
Try this 3 part video for court positioning and recovery. Something which you are not doing at all from that clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4A5xX_vn1I

Watch this clip of Federer and see how he recovers after every ball hit. He doesn’t just hit and stay in one place and wait for the next ball. Watch him move side to side by side stepping. In your clip you turn sideways, drop your racquet and start running with big steps. You should keep your racquet at ready at all times and take small quick steps so you can set up properly for your next shot. Compare it to your own video and try and imitate him next time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Def7iMP8G0M

You need to start doing drills that juniors do. Like do line sprints side to side and in a star shape to the service lines. Real sprints too not just lackadaisical.

Here is another good one if you’re hitting against a wall. Notice the footwork even while waiting for the ball to come to him from the wall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWnx-WXq0T8

PS: Don’t worry so much about peoplespeace. You’ve stepped up to post a video of yourself playing. He hasn’t. You can’t just ask people to move half way across the world with you without letting them know a lot more about you. Especially how you look/play etc.

Last edited by Devilito : 09-26-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Devilito is offline   Reply With Quote