View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Here are my current string rankings based mostly on playability for me. These rankings do take into account durability and consider tension maintenance as secondary factors. The majority of the strings were put in my Babolat Pure Storm Tour Plus (non GT) with a leather grip and two strips 3 inches long of 1/4 lead tape at 10 and 2. I switched sticks in the summer of 2011, so items with an "A" after the number were tested in a Pro Kennex 7G with no modifications except head tape. In October of 2012, I switched to the Prince Exo3 Tour [16 x 18] with no modifications. Those reviews will be marked with a "B". I play with heavy spin on most shots at a 4.5 level and 95% of my matches are on Har-Tru. Note: strings below the dashed line just did not work for me at all for one reason or another. If I forgot to go back and update the tension maintenance, that means it held until breakage. Tension loss readings from RacquetTune provided are the last one measured.

TTW user KCraig and I have fairly similar string tastes, so strings that he has tried and not liked I'll be skipping. These include Dunlop Comfort Synthetic and Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament. I hit with Dunlop Silk for a few minutes and as others have reported, it plays rather stiff. WeissCannon Xplosiv is very similar to Mantis Comfort Synthetic so I'll skip this one as well but I have used it as a cross.

Top 3 comfort multis for me:
1. Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 (Pro's Pro Hi Tec Multifibre seems like the same string to me)
2. Babolat Xcel 16
3. Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17

Top 3 spin multis for me:
1. Head RIP Control 16
2. Dunlop Hexy Fiber 16
3. Tecnifibre X1 Biphase 16

Top 3 power multis for me:
1. Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17
2. Tecnifibre X1 Biphase 16
3. WeissCANNON "The Big Fantum" 16

Top 3 durable multis for me:
1. Head RIP Control 16 (I did not play until breakage but it looked barely used after several hours)
2. Discho Microfibre 16 (I think Signum Pro Micronite is the same string)
3. Prince Premiere Attack 16

And the multifilament that plays closest to natural gut for me...Tecnifibre X1 Biphase 16

Below are some reviews for prototype strings. All were bad:

A. TW Wilson Prototype
B. TW Solinco Blind Test String

A review written in my format by djNEiGht of Tecnifibre TGV 17: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showp...postcount=5689

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reserved for Isospeed Control 16 Review...

I pulled this string out for half of my warmup and then put it back. After going down 4-0, I figured what the heck, let's try something different. It felt a little bit stiff for the first few minutes of hitting, but then it was very comfortable. The power level was a little lower than my current setup. For those that care about string movement, it does not move very much. I did not notice any notching after 11 games and 10 minutes of hitting. Spin creation seemed about average. All in all, this seems like a pretty good string. Nothing really floored me though. I'll report back if I have anything new to add and on the durability I get.

I ended up cutting this string out after 4 sets to try the Head RIP Control 16. There was minor notching at this point but the string looked like it had plenty of life left on it. TW offers this for $10.99 per set.

Last edited by mikeler : 09-16-2013 at 06:52 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote