View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 or the Pro's Pro Hi Tec Multifibre. I can't tell the difference between these 2 strings. I'll will call it MCS since most people are familiar with that.

It is very easy to string if you don't have too get through blocked holes. If you do, it can be tough because the string is so soft.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Discho Microfibre 16
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Low powered multi
Feel: Good feel not great
Tension maintenance: Breaks well before tension drops
Price: $9.00/set, $90/reel for MCS but the Pro's Pro is cheaper
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: I used almost a reel of this string coming back from an elbow injury. It is the only multi that I can truly say feels as soft as gut to me. The difference is that it is much lower powered.

Serve/Return of Serve: I always seemed to serve well with this string even though my 2nd serve did not feel like it was extra spinny. Just seemed easier to hit the corners but I find that with most thinner strings. This is a 16g string but stretches a lot and thins out a lot too.

Strokes: Nice muted feel to the string. Depth control is very good and spin is probably slightly below average for a multi.

Volleys: Soft strings are not made for net play but it does OK there.

Touch shots: I always enjoyed this string for this type of shot.

Softness: The string softness does not correlate with the RSI stiffness rating.

Tension: Perfect for my game.

Durability: Once the initial coating comes off, the string is close to breaking. I typically got 4 or 5 sets of singles out of it before it snapped.

Movement: String movement is all over the place after a few sets. Not good for the anal types.

Conclusion: If your arm hurts, this is the string for you. If you like low power, this is a great string. If you don't break strings, you might like it too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Review: Reserved for Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 Review...

I strung this up yesterday and it is a very interesting string. Hands down the easiest string to work with as a home stringer. The string is very soft but the outer coating allows it to stay stiff enough to get through the holes easily. Looking forward to hitting with it on Wednesday. This string seems thinner than the Isospeed. It looks more like a 16L gauge. There also was a very gluey smell to the string which I have not smelled since I used to play with Gamma synthetic gut (a favorite of mine).

Played this morning with the Mantis. It's definitely a low powered multi. It almost feels like a poly without any stiffness. After a few games, I started really digging it. I hit maybe 10 balls long over 2 sets. That has been my big problem with Maxim Touch. The ball does not pocket very much with this string which I don't really care about. Maybe my serve was just on today, but it seemed like I could put the ball into the corners very easily on my serve. When I missed long it was only within a few inches of the service line. The lower power really helped on my forehand because I could take a full swing at the ball. String movement was minimal and this string feels softer than any I've hit with before. Spin creation was the only draw back I could tell, but I was still able to get more than enough on my strokes when needed.

I see why this string was the #3 rated string for comfort of all time by the USRSA. My gut tells me either this or RIP Control are going to be "the one". But maybe the Quasi Gut will prove me wrong. I may take an impromptu vacation next week. If that happens, it may be over 2 weeks until my next review.

After about 4 sets, I'm noticing some minor fraying on the strings. Looks like the outer coating is just starting to peel. This string broke in my bag after 8.5 sets. After 2 more uses, I only got about 5 long sets before breakage. String breakers beware! Good price on this if you buy a reel for $90. Sets are $9.

Last edited by mikeler : 05-21-2012 at 11:21 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote