View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #42
Soianka
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Coach View Post
One minute you people say the 10's and 12's are meaningless and proves nothing then you say the Williams girls dominated the 10's and 12's then they were pulled out.

My question is how are these kids who by-pass the younger age groups doing anything wrong or do they have to dominate the 10's and 12's then they are on the right path ?

Do the 10's and 12's matter TCF or not ?

I read an article by Stan Smith? (I think it was Stan Smith) a while back where he was talking about that he had a hunch that there was another path to creating a world champion tennis player. That a junior could be generally athletic and start playing tennis later like age 13-15 and maybe not complete in junior events, etc.

I guess the point is no one really knows what can be done until someone does it. The Williams Sisters did blaze a new path by not competing at the high level junior competitions in their later teenage years. Can someone become a great player without playing official junior tournaments at all (but rather just practice matches)?

So far, no one has exactly done that. But I personally think it's possible.

I guess we will see what happens with the careers of these youtube girls in the next 4 or 5 years.