View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #12
JackB1
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozu View Post
yes and no.

footwork is important.

However, when you swing the wrong racket, you are limited to hitting balls in the 'strike zone' when you are in 'perfect position'.

let me explain.

If you try to hit a ball higher than your chest, when you swing the graphite racket, your arm collides with your chest, wrist flips over, ball into the net, all that funny stuff happens.... when you are in a running/reaching situation, you have no leverage to push the graphite racket into the ball, therefore producing weak shots.

You look at pros game, going at lightening fast pace, ball comes at different heights, from shoelace low, to over-head high, but the pros can always produce a strong reply, even if they are running/reaching.... why?

because they swing the human racket, which has 15-20 times more power potential than the graphite racket. (Hint - Human arm weighs 15-20 lbs).
That all sounds great, but there has to be more to it than just saying "swing the human racquet". There has to be a way to translate that into something practical that people can use. It just doesn't come by magic if you think to yourself "swing the human racquet" like Federer does in that video. I know you are saying to use your whole body instead of mostly the arm, but it's not as easy as you are making it sound or everyone on this board would be 5.0.