View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #438
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my initial review in the TW format of the Dunlop Hexy Fiber 16.

Strung up the Dunlop Hexy Fiber tonight. It is slightly more difficult to string because of the shape but not too bad. You have to look very closely at the cross section of the string to see the hexagonal shape. The packaging is neat looking but it had three string holders versus the standard one. I always have trouble breaking those. Bounced a few balls off it and the feel is muted.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 60 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Lower powered multi
Feel: Great feel
Tension maintenance: Seemed to hold the first 2 hours
Price: $6.95
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: I could tell on the first few hits that I was going to like this.  Combines the spin of RIP with the feel of Mantis Comfort.

Serve: First serve was good considering the high wind today.  Second serve had some great spin.

Strokes: Lots of spin on both wings.  Depth control was good.  I hit a bunch wide today but can't blame that on the string.  This is tied with RIP for spin potential.

Volleys: It's very good for volleys just like RIP.  Volleys feel very solid.

Touch shots: I taunted my opponent with a number of well placed droppers.

Softness: The string feels like a medium stiffness multi.

Tension: Perfect for my game.

Durability: The string looks thick and strong, but I only got 5 singles sets out of it.

Movement: String movement is average for a multi.  It hurts a little to move the strings with your fingers because of the hexagonal shape.  

Conclusion: This is an excellent string.  Great price too.  It could trump the Mantis but more testing is needed.

Final Comments: Broke the Hexy after 5 sets of play. It breaks just like the Mantis Comfort. It looks just fine and then all of a sudden the outer coating is gone and just a few strands are holding the string together. You have another game or so and then that is all she wrote. This new string is a very close 2nd place to Mantis in my book. A guy watching my match on another court remarked that one of my forehand's today was so heavy that it might have knocked the racket out of his hand. This string is definitely a spinner/winner. Too bad it has Mantis like durability.

One last remark, a few people who play with hexy polys complain that after a few hours, the string gets shaved down to a smooth surface. So I examined the cross section of the broken string bed and I could still see the hexagonal shape even in the highest area of wear.

Last edited by mikeler : 01-20-2012 at 06:41 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote