View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #499
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Since my original string that got me into soft multis was Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17, I figured I should add it here as another review. So here is my review in the TW format of the Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17. This is the only 17 gauge multi I've tested to date in this thread.

It is very easy to string because of the softness. It does have mild roughness but nothing that makes the crosses hard to do.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 60 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium/High powered multi
Feel: Great feel
Tension maintenance: Seemed to hold the entire 8-12 hours
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This was my first post Golfer's Elbow string. It was nice and soft especially at a lower tension of 55 pounds which I started out at. I got beat like a red headed step child getting adapted to my new racket and strings the first few months, but after that I started getting close to my normal level. The mildly rough texture provided adequate spin for a multi. Eventually I upped the tension to 60 pounds. I had one stint in the summer where I served really well with the string but overall it just had too much power for my liking.

Serve/Return of Serve: First serve was good some days and bad other days. I never felt like my 2nd serve caused much damage. I never felt comfortable ripping returns with this string, I always felt like I had to chip it to get control.

Strokes: My forehand could never really get dialed in with this string. I felt like any shot the trampoline effect could rear it's ugly head. Slice was just OK on the backhand. My topspin backhand is solid with just about any string, so no issues there.

Volleys: It's OK for volleys, nothing outstanding.

Touch shots: Drop shots and touch volleys were pretty good with this string. Considering it is called Maxim Touch it better be!

Softness: The string was the softest I'd ever used at the time. I've since tried Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 which is softer than this. So now this would be the #2 softest string. I know, this does not jive with RSI stiffness ratings but this is what it felt like to me.

Tension: Maybe one day I'll try this string again at 62 or 63 pounds to see if I can tone down the power.

Durability: The string looks like a standard 17g string. The string did not notch too badly. It would typically snap between the 8 to 12 hour mark with no warning.

Movement: String movement is average for a multi meaning it moves a decent amount.

Conclusion: This is an average multi that is good for the price. I just felt like it was too powerful for my liking. Still, I used it for 9 months and have to thank it for helping me stay on the court the entire time during that stint. For those players who have trouble generating power and desire a very soft string, this is definitely worth a try.

Last edited by mikeler : 01-20-2012 at 06:35 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote