View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #518
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Technifibre DuraMix HD 16.

I strung up the DuraMix a few nights ago. It did have lots of coil memory, but still it was one of the easiest strings I've every worked with except for 1 kink. The string feels like a very solid synthetic gut and is easy to get into the grommet holes. That one kink presented a small challenge after I weaved a cross, it kinked on the outside of the racket. I could not pull the cross back out with pliers for fear of damaging the stringbed to uncoil it, so I grabbed the kink itself with the pliers to pull it out. I did some minor damage to the string, fortunately that area was inside the grommet after I pulled tension, so I don't think I'll get premature breakage because of it. This is the first time I've seen ghosting in awhile, the last few strings have not shown it.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 60 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium powered multi
Feel: Average feel
Tension maintenance: Held fine so far
Price: $13
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: The first few hits I could tell this string was very crisp but not stiff. I was concerned that control would be an issue because I could not feel any ball pocketing, but that was not the case at all. I thought spin was about equivalent to the MultiFeel. Like MultiFeel, this string had a ton of CONTROLLED power on first serves. It was very windy last night, so I did not flatten out hardly any ground strokes. I still need to see how the string performs in calm conditions this weekend. I played very well with this string.

Serve/Return of Serve: I hit the fastest serves ever with this multi. My flat serves had so much zip on them. I was able to hit some nice 2nd serves with it too. My returns were so good, even with the wind I refused to slice them unless I was stretched out. When I tried to chip returns I had nice feel too.

Strokes: Lots of spin on both wings. Depth control was fantastic. It just seemed like if I hit it soft, medium or hard the ball was finding the baseline. This string is almost tied with RIP/Hexy for spin potential.

Volleys: It's average for volleys. If I hit it late, the power would send the ball beyond the baseline. I only got to hit a few volleys though.

Touch shots: Hard to tell so far, the wind made hitting drop shots pretty hard.

Softness: The string feels like a stiffer multi but I did not feel my elbow one time while hitting. Because the string is so crisp, I kept expecting to feel something but it never happened.

Tension: Perfect for my game.

Durability: The string looks like a sturdy 16g string. No signs of notching after 2 sets but broke it the next set of singles.

Movement: String movement is average for a multi meaning it moves a decent amount.

Conclusion: This is an excellent string that justifies the $13 price tag. If I can get double the durability of the Mantis, I might consider making it my string of choice.

Arghh! Hit with it for another set today and blew out 2 strings. I don't even think I got a full 3 sets out of it. My search continues...

Last edited by mikeler : 01-20-2012 at 06:43 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote