View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #541
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Head FXP (Control) 16.

The string was kind of flimsy like Maxim Touch and MCS. It was pretty easy to string with only one minor kink. The clamps left minor marks on the string but no real ghosting. I gave it the ball bounce test and it seems about as crisp as the DuraMix with some good spin potential.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 60 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Low/Medium powered multi
Feel: Above Average feel
Tension maintenance: Held fine so far
Price: $7.95
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: My first few hits went wayward and I started thinking that this string may be a stinker. After that, I ended up playing very well. It is a nice control oriented string.

Serve/Return of Serve: My first serve was OK. I was able to hit some nice 2nd serves with it. My returns were OK against a good server. When I tried to chip returns I had nice feel too.

Strokes: Decent spin on both wings. Depth control was good. I could not really place my backhand where I wanted to many times but my unforced error count was very low.

Volleys: It's average for volleys.

Touch shots: Pretty good. Hit a few drop shot winners against a very quick opponent.

Softness: The string feels like a stiffer multi but I did not feel my elbow one time while hitting. Because the string is so crisp, I kept expecting to feel something but it never happened.

Tension: Perfect for my game.

Durability: I'm seeing some micro fraying happening but nothing major.

Movement: String movement is minimal for a multi. KCraig would approve.

Conclusion: This is a good string that is worth the $7. It reminds me of Intellitour playing wise, just a little more crispy and spinny.

Last edited by mikeler : 01-28-2011 at 06:38 AM.
mikeler is online now   Reply With Quote