View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #201
TennisTech
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Karl View Post
3 - Counter Punching players are always looking for the opportunity to *instantly* switch from safe defensive tennis ... to ripping winners. They can “change gears” with a single shot. Their passing shots are “thread the needle” accurate against those playing Attack the Net. Their drop-shots and lobs are deadly. Counter Punchers can detect and exploit the baseliners’ inadvertent openings ... and end the point with one “high risk” down-the-line winner ... or fool you with a short-angle inside-out forehand winner.

Opponents playing both Attack the Net and Baseline tennis are fooled into thinking “He can’t keep that up the whole match.” When do these opponents realize their error? Unfortunately, when -- befuddled -- they are shaking hands at the net and congratulating the Counter Puncher on a 6-3, 6-3 victory.

<See next post>

- KK
Hi I've been a long time tennis player since I was 7 years old, and I've gone through the juniors as a top #3 national player in age groups until the 18's. I also played on tour for 6 years and now I am a private coach of 2 kids.
Going through tennis life and playing with only the best of the best and the best coach's, even though I'm not old enough to get respect from the parents I know a little bit more than an average tennis parent.

The point to is I'm having trouble explaining the counter-punching style of tennis. I completely agree with your post and I said the same thing to the parent of my student and they disagreed with me.

They came to me and showed me the book Maximum Tennis by Nick Saviano(Which I've met and been coached by him once before). I can't remember exactly what it says but basically it said that a counter-puncher is considered a defensive player and they are called "pushers". And in professional tennis there are no counter-punchers since the balls are hit hard and with fast pace.

When I saw this in the book I was dumbstruck... I've never in my tennis life heard one coach saying that a counter puncher is a pusher. There are some counter punching baseliners in pros that I am thinking. One player I can think on top of my head would be Davydenko. Also in the book it said that Arantxa Sánchez Vicario is a counter puncher... I've always heard and thought that she was a retriever...

I know you've written it in your first post but in my word and knowledge, "pushers" do not generate spin on their ball and it just floats rather than generating their own pace and cutting through the air like a "grinders" ball which has a lot of topspin, which is the same thing you said...

Are counter punchers, pushers in your opinions? Am I wrong about this?

I am getting a lot of stress going through everything with me on what is right and wrong...

Thanks for reading the post and thanks again for all the future replies.
TennisTech is offline   Reply With Quote