View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #40
Ano
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefedererer View Post
Ano, welcome back! Happy New Year! I hope you can provide more words of health and fitness wisdom over time. For instance, I'd love to hear your opinion on the need to "bulk up" so much when lifting, then have to "cut" deeply. (It seems to me calorie/protein intake is often overdone in the lifting phase.)
I donít like the idea about bulking. (Bulking= eating as much as possible in the hope of gaining more muscle and at the same time accepting a large body fat gain).

You can't force your body to add more muscle simply by eating more. Once you reach a point where you are consuming as many nutrients as your body can use to build muscle , simply eating more food won't give you more muscle growth. Instead it'll lead to an increase in weight in the form of body fat.

By bulking up, you would be fat most of the time. Is getting fat eight - ten months out of the year what you're really after? I don't think so. Most of the weight trainees want to look good all year long!

If you lift weight to gain muscle, instead of eating as much as possible, itís better to eat 15- 20 % more calories above maintenance.