View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #733
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Wilson Shock Shield 16.

The SS is so cool out of the package. It looks like a standard 16g or possibly 16L. It ghosts on the clamps, the tensioner and any kinks! Never seen that before. It felt smooth, but doing crosses I almost burned my fingers a few times. Combine that with the kinking from coil memory and this had a medium degree of difficulty. Knots were a cinch, pun intended. Gave it the bounce test. It felt soft and powerful in the sweet spot. It felt like it has some vibration when you hit outside the sweetspot though.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 60 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Low powered multi
Feel: Great feel
Tension maintenance: Seemed to hold the entire 2.5 hours so far
Price: $15/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: The first day, I started warming up with the SS. It was unexpectedly stiff and very low powered at first. On about the 5th forehand, I felt a slight elbow twinge but never felt it again after that. The clay courts were very wet that morning and the balls got heavy, so this was not the ideal string for this day. It was a nice string for volleys and drop shots but I could not keep the ball deep enough. My slice backhand floated all the time too. Once the strings loosened up, it started playing much better from the baseline. On the 2nd hit, the strings felt much better but there was some vibration on off-center hits.

Serve/Return of Serve: I can't serve normally yet, but it seemed to have good directional control. Returns seemed easy to control.

Strokes: Spin took a lot of effort on both wings. Depth control was not great, I hit many balls short. It really takes a lot of effort to hit the ball deep.

Volleys: It feels pretty solid on volleys.

Touch shots: It is very good for drop shots.

Softness: The string feels like a medium stiffness multi that matches its RSI stiffness.

Tension: Too low for my game.

Durability: The pretty blue string that I put in is mostly white now. Any area of the string that gets an impact turns white. I don't think this string is going to last very long but I'll report back on it. I ended up cutting this string out, just did not excel at much for my game.

Movement: String movement is average for a multi meaning it moves a decent amount.

Conclusion: This is an average multi string with a premium price. It may suit those folks switching from poly to a multi since it is very low powered for a multi.

Last edited by mikeler : 02-13-2011 at 10:29 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote