View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #946
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Prince Premiere LT 16.

Strung up the Prince Premiere LT 16 yesterday. It felt softer than the RSI stiffness ratings would indicate. It was very easy to string except for a few times when I got minor friction burn on the crosses. I gave it the ball bounce test and it felt a lot like NRG2. It uncoiled very easily out of the package.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 60 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Low/Medium powered multi
Feel: Good feel not great
Tension maintenance: Seemed to hold the first 2 hours
Price: $16.00/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: I could tell on the first few hits that this string had some very nice spin potential. The string has a slight roughness to it which probably helps with spin generation. I loved this string for most shots just wish it felt a little softer.

Serve/Return of Serve: First serve is at 90% due to a shoulder injury. I felt like I could put the serve pretty close to where I aimed. Returns were OK with this string. My opponent had a good serving day so that may have had something to do with it. I missed more than usual just several inches past the baseline. Perhaps further play with this setup will straighten that out.

Strokes: Lots of spin on both wings. Depth control was good. This string felt like RIP/Hexy Fiber for spin potential. My forehand was very good with this string. When I can pull opponents off the court with short cross court forehands, they are usually in trouble that day. I did this often. My inside out forehand was great too. I really liked this string on low forehands. Felt like I could pop a winner at any time. My slice backhand and topspin backhand were solid, but nothing special.

Volleys: It's very good for volleys but I thought Xcel was a little better in that department. Volleys felt very solid when I tried to punch them. Low volleys were somewhat tough with this string, not sure why.

Touch shots: I hit a few bad drop shots at first but then started finding my mark later on and was quite happy with the touch.

Softness: The string feels like a medium softness multi. It felt better after playing for an hour than it did initially so it has a little bit of a break-in period.

Tension: Perfect for my game.

Durability: The strings look pretty good after 2 sets of play. Hopefully they'll give me some decent life. I ended up cutting this out after about 8 hours of play.

Movement: String movement was average for a multi meaning it moves a lot.

Conclusion: This is an excellent string that deserves a premium title. I think I like it slightly better than the Mantis but not quite as much as MultiFeel or Xcel. Too bad it is so expensive because I'm sure more people would buy it if the price were right. I would also prefer it to be just a tad softer. I cut this string out, it performed better fresh than after a few hours.

Last edited by mikeler : 03-12-2011 at 02:47 PM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote