View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #1187
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

UPDATE: I tried X1 a second time with a prestretch. That seemed to resolve the tension loss problem.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 16.

It is a very unusual string to work with. It is sticky and very rough. I had to use my screwdriver method to fan the crosses and I could see visible friction burn on the bottom of the mains when I was done. Getting the string through blocked holes was a little bit difficult too.

Gave it the old ball bounce test and I can tell this string has some power. With little effort I can keep the ball bouncing on the string bed. The sweet spot seems pretty large with this string. Saw another thread where somebody said X-One has a huge gut like sweet spot.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 60 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium/High powered multi
Feel: Terrific feel
Tension maintenance: Seemed to hold until about the 6 hour mark
Price: $16/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: I've been having shoulder problems the last 2 months, so I warm up my serve very slowly. The first warm up serve I hit bounced in the service box and hit the bottom of the back fence! I thought no way I'll be able to control all that power. WRONG! This is the second string I've used where if I hit the sweet spot I got a ton of CONTROLLED power. And that sweet spot is huge! The ball would go right where I wanted it to. I played one of the best matches of my life the first time out with this string. The rough texture provides excellent spin for a multi.

Serve/Return of Serve: First serve was absolutely terrific. I had pinpoint control going anywhere in the service box. I was able to hit some wicked twist 2nd serves with it too. When I went for my returns this string was excellent. Chip returns were a breeze too.

Strokes: Lots of spin on both wings. Depth control was fantastic, I felt like every shot would land within 6 inches of the baseline unless I was angling my opponent way off the court. This string seems to have as much spin as RIP. When I wanted to blast forehands, I felt like I could without having to worry about the trampoline effect. Same thing on the backhand side. Where this string shines like no other is when you hit shots out of position. I had a number of Federer "flick" backhands where I barely got to the ball but still hit a winner. That little extra power in the string allows these kind of shots. My slice backhand stayed very low and deep unless I was trying to float it to get back in the point.

Volleys: It may be better for volleys than even RIP Control. Volleys and overheads felt so solid. I was a beast at net with this. Touch volleys were sick too. I even hit a drop shot off a half volley for a winner completely stretched out against a speedy opponent.

Touch shots: I won a lot of points with well placed droppers today. My opponent was so concerned with all the winners I was hitting he could not afford to cover the drop shot.

Softness: The string feels like a low stiffness multi. I did not feel my elbow one time. The stiffness in the 190 area had me a little worried before I started using the string plus the fact that everyone says there is a break-in period with the string. I did not notice the break-in period or any stiffness. I'm thinking this string is very tension dependent.

Tension: Perfect for my game. After about the 6 hour mark, I finally experienced that tension loss everyone talks about and could not keep a ball in the court. Still, those first few hours are pure magic.

Durability: The string looks like a standard 16g string. No signs of notching yet but I do see some minor fraying. I cut this out after about 6 hours but it did not have any major string damage that I could see.

Movement: String movement is average for a multi meaning it moves a decent amount. Seems like the crosses move as much as the mains.

Conclusion: I think the best way to wrap this up is to say that I beat my opponent so quickly, we played a practice third set. So I pulled the Prince Premiere out of the bag. After going down a break 4-3, I took the X-One back out and had a set point but could not convert. We stopped at 5-5. My opponent who was using Gosen OG Micro commented that it was like bringing a knife to a gun fight against the X-one. I think I would describe X-One as a machine gun that rarely misfired. I have a new favorite string by a landslide!

Last edited by mikeler : 04-24-2013 at 05:53 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote