View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 05:22 AM   #1366
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Yonex Tour Super 850 16.

It looks like a standard 16g string. Very easy to string. It reminds me of stringing synthetic gut. Bounced it off the racket a few times and it felt muted right after stringing.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 60 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium powered multi
Feel: Average feel
Tension maintenance: Questionable around the 4 hour mark
Price: $8.95/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: A local TTWer BobFL had good things to say about this string. I was hoping this might be the surprise value multi out there. After the very first forehand, I actually said "Wow". When I tested it in battle, the wow factor left and I felt I had a middle of the road multi in my hands.

Serve/Return of Serve: I can hit first serves normal now but not my normal kick 2nd serve. I did not find anything special about this string related to serves or returns.

Strokes: Spin was decent, nothing special. Depth control was good for the most part but this string definitely has the rocket launching characteristic at times. When I missed long, there was no "Can you check the mark" because it was closer to the back fence than the baseline. My slice backhand was good except when I was stretched out. In those situations, I felt like I had little control of it.

Volleys: It feels pretty average on volleys.

Touch shots: It is OK for drop shots. I hit a few good ones and a few really bad ones (the kind where you think the ball has wings).

Softness: The string feels like a medium stiffness multi.

Tension: If I were to try this string again, I might up the tension a few pounds to see if I could get rid of the trampoline effect.

Durability: After almost 4 sets, there is significant fraying mostly on the cross strings. The mains look to be in decent shape. I cut this out after 4 sets of singles and 1 set of doubles. I took the scissors to the weakest cross string and it was like cutting butter with a knife. I think it might have broken on its own fairly soon had I not cut it out.

Movement: String movement was not bad for the first 3 sets, but it started moving significantly more after that. It feels like the string is losing some tension.

Conclusion: This string is like the PSGD of multis. It is a good value and probably a decent starting point for somebody wanting to try out a multifilament string. It is fairly average in most areas but I did not feel like it had any negatives.

Last edited by mikeler : 03-19-2011 at 01:50 PM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote