View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #630
pvaudio
Legend

Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue Rough 17g / PerforMAXX WhisperTouch

Stringing: As stated in the TurboTwist portion, this was more difficult. I've strung many textured poly strings: geared ones, shaped ones, extruded ones and twisted ones. BHBR is of the twisted type. This string has just stupid coil memory and is very prone to kinking. I honestly cannot imagine untangling it from a single packet since it put up such a fight coming off of a reel. By far the most difficult poly I've used in this thread. Doesn't hold a candle to any of the ALU strings, but compared to BHB, it's ridiculous. Strung 53/55, 10% machine prestretch on gut.

Groundstrokes:
Ah, finally time to review the forum's hype string of the moment, so I'll spend quite a bit of time on this one. If it were any other color, you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from Tornado or Cyber Twirl visually. However, when hitting, you can. Let me get this out of the way immediately: I do not tend to buy into hyper profiled strings offering great spin. This string, however, does not fall into that category after all. It's profiled, yes, but not nearly as much as some of the others.

Now, onto the review. Those of you who have played with BHB will be disappointed as this does not play anything like it. As I stated briefly earlier, this string gives you great spin potential, BUT, it is NOT anything spectacular. This is no holy grail string, in my opinion. Power is not an issue; I would put it at average for polys. Spin is indeed above average, but I wholeheartedly disagree with the RSI's claim of it being the be all end all of spin strings. Not even close. It is relatively comfortable from the baseline though, and has a very unique crispness to it that reminds me of Silverstring, but with more spin albeit less control.

On the FH side, shotmaking is a breeze. You won't be pulling off any impossible feats, but the string has good feel and lets you have confidence in swinging out. On the BH side.... Without question, this was my favorite string to date for hitting my backhand with. The sound that this thing makes rivals that of Tour Bite. If you make solid contact, you will swear a gun went off. The ball comes in incredibly heavy which is very academic because I hit with more spin on my forehand, but more power on my 1HBH. I guess something this string lends itself to my 1HBH perfectly. Slices are very easy to control, and if you Steffi Graf it and step really hard into the ball, you'll hit a great shot pretty much every time. Overall: 9.5/10

Serves: Mediocre at best. My serve is my favorite stroke since I've worked the hardest on it, and there is absolutely nothing about this string that blew me away. Hitting flat serves is really only its strong point because it sounds a lot bigger than it is. Second serves don't kick up as much as you might expect and slices aren't deadly like some people seem to think. Now, I've been told that I've got a fairly mean slice serve, and this string did nothing to make it furious, so to speak. Still, it's controllable, but doesn't take anything to the next level. Overall: 8/10

Volleys: Now, this is interesting to talk about because BHBR doesn't really have much feel at the net, but it does feel very lively. As I said in the groundstrokes section, it has this strange ability to take an incoming ball and let you do what you want with it as far as power is concerned. As far as control, not so much. You don't get that much directional control compared to some of the other strings I've played with, and touch shots are simply average. It's not an overpowered string, so you won't be blasting things long or wide like with Turbotwist, but you won't be Sampras or Rafter up there. Overall: 8.5/10

Durability: Being textured, this didn't really rip the gut apart like I was expecting it to. Honestly, throughout the past 30+ pages of playtesting, I've found that the smooth polys do more damage, and hence are displacing more than anything textured. Tourna strings tend to be very durable, but hold tension just averagely. Time would have to tell, so I'll keep this one in my bag to see how it progresses. Overall: 9/10

Well, ladies and gentlemen, that's that. I didn't find Jesus descending from the rafters and guiding my shots around two courts like some people think that they experience with this stuff. Would I use it again? No, but that's just because I've found better offerings for me. Would I recommend it to others? Absolutely, since it's good stuff and everyone deserves to see if it's the holy grail for them. For me? Nothing extraordinary. It is, honestly, just a very good string, but nothing that makes you want to jump and shout about. At least, I don't want to. Then again, I'd look like a complete prat if I did that and wasn't a pro player.

Overall: 9/10

Last edited by pvaudio : 03-30-2011 at 07:15 PM.
pvaudio is offline   Reply With Quote