View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #46
Lefty Spin
Rookie

ClarkC, you may be on to something regarding attrition. It is important to remember, however, that bringing top talent to a place like Champaign-Urbana is not always easy. My understanding is that Ruan left because he was homesick. Waylon Chin wanted more playing time. I think Florida has similar issues in regards to playing time. If they had Hamui and the kid that transferred to Texas A&M they would have a great team. I think Bennetteau left because he was homesick. But good players leave schools all the time for a variety of reasons. For example, UW-Madison could use Pohlmann this year, but he transferred to San Diego for the weather and to play with Dean Jackson.

It is important to note, that there are a lot of good players throughout the college ranks so the fans need to understand that on any given day a team can lose. I think the key thing for fans of any school to remember is that unlike football, if a key player has a bad day, a college tennis team can lose to some teams that surprise its fans.

I still think too many people don't respect the quality of the other teams. Indiana, for example, has a solid program. Minnesota and Michigan are also very good. I just can't see trashing a coach for losing to a solid team. Especially, considering that when healthy the team has beat several other top ten schools. I see it sometimes on these boards with the Stanford fans. I guess its easy to trash another school when you have not played the school or don't know anything about that team.
Lefty Spin is offline   Reply With Quote