View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #2008
Ash_Smith
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennoc View Post
I analyzed almost every replay of Federer's volleys during last 5 years. Thousands of shots. I saw just a few examples when his foot landed on the ground at contact. He lost all these volleys. He hits in the air. Check other good volleyers. Henman. Sampras. Check them frame by frame.

Surprise!
Look again and study the height of the contact points of those volleys. Believe me, Luis and Emilio have studied thousands of Pro volleys (and they've actually taught Pro players too). I have studied and taught also, you need to put what you think you see in conxtext of the situation. For mid-high volleys the lead foot should be in the air a little - there's no surprise there, that's what I said (hit during the step). Look for low volleys and you'll also see what I stated and the same for high volleys. Players who hit mid-high volleys and have completed their step before the hit have a higher chance of arming tha ball and/or missing the volley. Maybe this is what you saw in the video's you have watched.

Surprise, no?

If you want to volley technically perfectly (which is your goal apparently) then you'll heed the advice of 2 of the worlds greatest coaches (and me) and add it into your game. Or you could not, up to you!

Arche3 and Hewex - no worries, glad to help.

Regards

Ash

Last edited by Ash_Smith : 04-08-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Ash_Smith is online now   Reply With Quote