View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #43
Jake Speed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyrick View Post
I'm surprised you really aren't prescribing wall work. No disrespect to your 40 years of being involved in tennis, but hitting into the net doesn't drive a person to create a full stroke. A wall requires someone to see the ball coming back at them, it requires (fast) footwork to get into position, it encourages a full turn, backswing, and follow-through.

A drop-hit into the net doesn't do this.

That said, I'm not a teaching pro. In fact, with tennis, I'm not sure what qualifies someone to teach.

I only know what worked for me. And what worked for me was reading about what other ATP professionals did to groove their strokes early on. All it requires is a wall, some balls, and time/practice. After 1.5 years, I went from never having held a tennis racquet to beating most 3.5s in my area.

I think there are probably several methods someone can use to groove their forehand. Personally, I think hitting against a wall has the best return on investment (for beginners) and covers all of the mechanics of the stroke.

At some point, though, I think rallying with someone else is the best thing to do.
I never said a wall didn't have a place for learning. Show me where I said that?

I'm the guy that broke all the windows at my school, because there were no tennis courts.

I learned against a wall!

JS #1
Jake Speed is offline   Reply With Quote