Thread: Vijay Amritraj
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #41
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshooter View Post
"In 1974 Vijay was considered to be part of the ABC of the future of tennis. Amitraj Borg Connors"

Perhaps in some fantasy of the past. He wasn't ever in the class of those two. Prospects-wise, talent-wise or results-wise. True, I never liked his game. Typical sucky 70s backhand (problems coming over it and unreliable under pressure) and a boring "classic" eastern forehand. Borg was inspiring an entire generation with topspin and Connors had a deadly backhand. Vijay had -- not much game. Eliott Telscher was far more talented. Dick Stockton. Raul Rameriz. Eddie Dibbs. The list goes on and on and on.
Of all the good 1970´s players, Stockton is the one I can´t really talk about, but I don´t think, talent wise, you can compare a real natural talent like Amritraj to Dibbs and Teltscher: 2 very good backhands, fast legs and great fighting minds , but nothing else ( which isn´t bad, anyhow¡¡¡).

Ramirez was extremely talented, and was more solid than Vijay.I could accept this name but seldom the other 3 (Dibbs,Teltscher and Stockton).
kiki is offline   Reply With Quote