View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
Carolina Racquet
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by andfor View Post
Good question. My question about the article you found is at those American Red Clay Court clubs is red clay (crushed brick) real or red colored Har-Tru?

At my club play on the outdoor hard and Har-Tru are not extra. Dues and indoor fees are another story.
I believe over 90% of the 'red clay' courts in the US are essentially very similar to the normal green Har-Tru court surface manufactured by Lee Tennis out of Charlottesville, VA.

The difference between their 'clay' surface and the European red clay surface is significant. Har-Tru and their 'red clay' surface is actually a crushed limestone material found in the Allegany mountains. European red clay is more of a crushed brick material found in France. Har-Tru plays harder and faster than European red clay.

I believe there are some European red clay courts in the US but found primarily in some very exclusive resorts, clubs and private courts. They import all of the material which is pretty pricey!

Concerning more clay-like surfaces in the US, the biggest issue of maintaining Har-Tru in the Western US is the low humidity requiring a lot more water. The 'answer' to this issue is a newer Claytech surface which is actually a revised version of FieldTurf top-dressed with the Har-Tru material. Claytech requires very little watering and maintenance but is more expensive to install. I believe you'll see more Claytech surfaces popping up in the West and actually works great indoors if you can deal with the mess of it in the non-playing areas.

"Clay court" tennis is great. Once you get used to it, playing on hard courts feels harsh. Long live clay.