View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #58
drakulie
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachingMastery View Post
Drak, I've seen many "golfer's elbow" (aka server's elbow) developed from poor mechnics on the forehands side...never tennis elbow. It is almost biomechanically impossible since there is almost no stress to the lateral epicondyle of the elbow on the forehand. There IS stress to the medial epicondyle of the elbow on the forehand.
Interesting. So when you see players completely contort their forearm that makes it painful to even watch, this doesn't put any stress on the outer elbow area of the arm? Interesting.

Quote:
I suspect that you may see players who developed tennis elbow via backhand issues and simply are unaware of how they got it or that when it hurts it can hurt on all shots, forehands included, when the inflamation is bad.
Once again, very interesting. So accroding to you, players can't possibly develop pain in any part of their arm (whatever you want to call it) by hitting forehands. But they can develop "tennis elbow" from not hitting backhands.

Call it whatever you want (golfers elbow, tennis elbow, dart throwing elbow, typing elbow, etc, etc. etc). Fact is, most people who play tennis mostly hit forehands (unless you are in an alternate universe) and especially in the beginner stages or lower stages of tennis, and they develop PAIN IN THEIR ELBOW REGION (satisfied?) because of poor mechanics and contorting their forearm in all sorts of ungodly ways in order to achieve more topspin. These are the same people that keep companies that make ELBOW brace grips in business.

Quote:
Why? Why would I choose a stroke that fewer and fewer top pros are using? That makes no sense.
In the same way, why would you choose to teach a stroke that does not produce grand slam titles at the same rate as one-handed backhands? I mean, if you want to throw out numbers, then isn't it interesting that with so many two handers (much more than one-handers in the ATP as you point out), much more than half the slams won in the last 20 years have been won by one-handed players?

Would you attribute this to coaches (who aren't lazy) just not teaching the two-handed back hand as well as those who teach the one-hander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil J View Post
This is an interesting topic. I played hockey my whole life and took up tennis in my late 30's. I shot lefty on the ice so as a right handed player I naturally went out there with a 2 HBH. After a year of lessons with a coach that played a 2 HBH, my backhand was mediorce at best. I switched pros and on the first day of practice, the pro noticed that I retunred serves with one hand , exclusively. He picked up on my natural inclination & it was a 1 HBH and within a month I was hitting it naturally, and now 12 years later it is my best groundstroke by far. I had a coach that was perceptive and found something that worked for me more naturally. I can't even hit a 2HBH now. It feels stiff & limiting. My point is that pro's should monitor their pupils and teach them what is the most natural for them.
Great post. To add, as I alluded to earlier; in your case, you didn't have a "lazy coach". In most other cases, coaches (as well as their students) are more interested in obtaining instant gratification, and just follow what they see on TV..........."80%??? of pros use two handers, so you should too and blah, blah, blah."