View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #59
CoachingMastery
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakulie View Post
Interesting. So when you see players completely contort their forearm that makes it painful to even watch, this doesn't put any stress on the outer elbow area of the arm? Interesting.

Once again, very interesting. So accroding to you, players can't possibly develop pain in any part of their arm (whatever you want to call it) by hitting forehands. But they can develop "tennis elbow" from not hitting backhands.

Call it whatever you want (golfers elbow, tennis elbow, dart throwing elbow, typing elbow, etc, etc. etc). Fact is, most people who play tennis mostly hit forehands (unless you are in an alternate universe) and especially in the beginner stages or lower stages of tennis, and they develop PAIN IN THEIR ELBOW REGION (satisfied?) because of poor mechanics and contorting their forearm in all sorts of ungodly ways in order to achieve more topspin. These are the same people that keep companies that make ELBOW brace grips in business.

In the same way, why would you choose to teach a stroke that does not produce grand slam titles at the same rate as one-handed backhands? I mean, if you want to throw out numbers, then isn't it interesting that with so many two handers (much more than one-handers in the ATP as you point out), much more than half the slams won in the last 20 years have been won by one-handed players?

Would you attribute this to coaches (who aren't lazy) just not teaching the two-handed back hand as well as those who teach the one-hander?

Great post. To add, as I alluded to earlier; in your case, you didn't have a "lazy coach". In most other cases, coaches (as well as their students) are more interested in obtaining instant gratification, and just follow what they see on TV..........."80%??? of pros use two handers, so you should too and blah, blah, blah."
Considering you don't understand the difference between tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) and golfer's elbow/server's elbow (medial epicondylitis), or that they are two very different injuries, then you would not be expected to then understand how the forehand and backhand offer different propensities for injuries. The forehand would create and/or aggrevate golfer's elbow...not tennis elbow. The backhand creates and/or aggrevate's tennis elbow, the most common "elbow problem" tennis players encounter. (Satisfied?)

If you take out two players over the last twenty years, (Sampras and Fed), then we would see a different percentage of two-handed wins. I don't discount that one-handed strokes can be taken to the highest level. Yet, if we want to look at numbers, let's not stop at just looking at grand slam championships...let's look at NCAA championships, women's WTA championships, and just the fact that percentages of ALL professional players that use two hands is revealing too.

But, I'm certainly not going to waste my time arguing the point with you. You are more than welcome to your opinion and I welcome that. However, if you have not taught tennis for more than 30 years, have produced over 100 top state, national or world-ranked players, or are only discussing tennis from a subjective point of view, then I'll let you believe all you want to believe from what ever point of view you want to look at your beliefs from.