View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #98
CoachingMastery
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFrazeur View Post
I agree with you to an extent. A badly hit backhand (one or two hands, ground stroke or volley) where the arm tries to straighten out through the ball is far more likely to cause damage/trauma to the elbow than a bad forehand.

Where I kinda disagree is in the categorizing. Many of those low level players that have very bad chronic Tennis Elbow have such bad mechanics to the point where it is hard to categorize their backhand as actually being one or two handed.

Sure, they will have either one or two hands on the racquet at contact, but it's more complex than that. A "one hander" may be opening up too early (opposite shoulder rotating forward with dominate arm bend) and over rotating too much for a proper one handed backhand. While they only have one hand on the racquet at contact they are using more in the way of "two handed" mechanics. Their intent may have even been to hit with two hands. Blah, blah, intent vs actuality, blah, blah.

-SF
Good points and agreed. I probably shouldn't have been so robust in this statement. While in my experience it has been pretty much mostly one-handed backhanders that have both the injury as well as usually questionable form, you are correct that it truly is more complex. I've seen players get tennis elbow from non-tennis activites...and, of course, sustain aggrevation through play once they have it. So yes, there are a number of conditions for anyone to get it. Thanks for an objective point of view!