View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #30
yonexpurestorm
Rookie

Quote:
I disagree. It depends on how much time you are willing to put into training/conditioning. The guy is a strong 4.5 (maybe close to 5.0) at 26 years old. If he can spend 3-4 hours per day training (difficult given the usual life constraints, but certainly possible) he could be a strong 5.5 within 1-2 years. At that level an ATP point is not out of the question.
ive been playing about 5 times a week getting 2-3 sets in each time. sometimes just hitting working on my backhand. last sat i actually played a match at 11, finished at 1. jumped into the car drove 30 mins to start another match at 1:30 and finished around 3:30. really tired after that. i do work 9-5, but i get some good playing time around 6-9 everynight. i mainly need to work on my conditioning. i have good stamina, but need to eat healthier. i could drop about 15lbs.
Quote:
Looking at his record he does not look like a strong 4.5 close to 5.0. He looks like middle of the road 4.5. The main thing I think he has working against him is he does not have a strong tennis background. He was not a strong junior and did not play college tennis and pretty much started tennis again after a long layoff. At this point he would not just need time but also a lot of money from coaching because he likely has some technical flaws. As you get higher up the NTRP ladder it gets harder not easier to move up levels. If he were a former D1 player that took off 5 years and started playing again at age 26, I would give him a chance, but basically 4.5 rec level player trying to do it is a whole different animal.
i really do wish i had played in college, but i just didnt have the drive then. i was more focused on school. my technical skills are actually the reason why i was always able to jump on the court and rip a forehand. my parents paid for lessons starting when i was 4. i dont know when i stopped, but tennis has always come naturally to me because the correct mechanics were drilled into my head when i was very young. my one huge glaring flaw is my backhand. i just cant seem to hit passing bh shots on the run. i know the mechanics, but it just needs practice to get the muscle memory down. my fh however is my main weapon. i feel i can hit a winner from anywhere on the court with it.
Quote:
Go for it! Am interested to see expenses vs what you win. Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!!!
i decided i will keep a record of my expenses vs income on this thread just to make this thread a little more interesting. so starting in june i have spent $88 on a reel of polystar energy 17, $36 and 33$ on the entry fees into the usc tourny and seal beach tourny. i did win 50$ in the usc tourny though. so i need to win $107 more to be at par.
Quote:
Yeah, go for it.
How you do depends on your opponent's skills, and you being a rising 4.5 or a falling 4.5.
Do you have weapons? Are you consistent only?
You'll get pummelled as said, most likely, but you can draw some duffers too.
I wonder if you get any points for going a few rounds in Q's? In 1977 and '78, I went 4 rounds in a Q as a B or 4.5 player, lefty, 2hbh, big serve, quick at net.
id say im rising as a 4.5. my game is getting better everyday. the main reason i did so bad last summer was i was still using my racquet from junior high, it was some prince OS 110 old man racquet. my brother lost my rd-ti 70 88sqinch from highschool. i just recently finally found a racquet that doesnt give me tennis elbow, but has good pop and spin. my weapon is my forehand. i use sw grip and get a lot of topspin. weakness is my 2hbh, i mainly play defense and am always looking to get a forehand to control the point. my serve is pretty big, second could use more pace. overheads are good, net game good. i could use better footwork on my bh to improve consistency though.

@onehandbh - i guess thats a different way to look at it. lol.
Quote:
You'd be better off spending that time getting really proficient in your real career, you'll end up making a lot more money that way. Go "pro" in your chosen career path (or pick one soon) and it will pay off in spades. Spend all that time trying to become a pro tennis player (which you'll never become), and there's an opportunity cost.
i have a finance degree and work in corporate accounting. i dont plan on quitting my day job (literally). but i need to get my competitive juices going and i enjoy playing tennis. it is tough working full time and trying to fit in a lot of practice, but it is possible with the right dedication.