View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 05:34 AM   #100
SFrazeur
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachingMastery View Post
Good points and agreed. I probably shouldn't have been so robust in this statement. While in my experience it has been pretty much mostly one-handed backhanders that have both the injury as well as usually questionable form, you are correct that it truly is more complex. I've seen players get tennis elbow from non-tennis activites...and, of course, sustain aggrevation through play once they have it. So yes, there are a number of conditions for anyone to get it. Thanks for an objective point of view!
To be clear, since I was half asleep when I wrote the above post, I do agree that for the most part the onset of Tennis elbow sustained from actual Tennis activity can be traced back to bad backhand mechanics. The worst strain seeming to be caused by forcing and/or straightening the arm through the ball.

My only disagreement coming from the aspect of "lumping and splitting." I just see too many "no handed" backhands, backhands so mechanically improper and inconsistent where it is difficult to categorize them as one or two handed. I'm sure you know the type of players I am talking about. Same idea as I wrote above, but I would also add the improper use of a backhand slice as a contributing factor as well.

Yes. My disagreement is largely academic.

It is more difficult for someone who does not teach to really see that bad backhands cause more Tennis elbow than forehands. I'm sure there are many, many who have gone to two hands from being a one handed to take strain off their dominate elbow. I can look at a long time player using two hands and tell with good accuracy if they have been primarily one handed in the past. I'm sure you can as well. Any tennis elbow injury is more likely to have come from their time as one handed not a two handed. Someone who is not experienced in analyzing mechanics is not likely to notice.

-SF